Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Advent

Adam and I acquired an Advent calendar this year…Nothing fancy by any means. It’s one of those $3 ones filled with not so great chocolate in almost cool shapes.
Christmas Chocolate Advent Calendar
Lovely, no? And whether or not the chocolate is good or not it has been fun.

It reminds me of those paper chain countdown garlands I made as a kid. Remember? Cheap red and green colored construction paper looped and entwined in each other to create a wondrous chain. Where with each passing day you would excitedly remove a link in anticipation of the last golden colored loop that meant Christmas was finally here!


Now that I am older I realize that there are so many ways to celebrate with advent.
Like this idea from Delia Creates
They hang 25 little stockings in their kitchen and fill them with 3 slips of paper.


The first slip of paper is a Christmas activity. Some of the examples she gave were: making ornaments, stringing popcorn, making gingerbread houses, and cutting out paper snowflakes.

The second slip is for a service project for the day. For example, shoveling the neighbor’s driveway or caroling to friends and family.

The third slip has a Christmas Hymn or Carol on it. You can also read the scripture that correlates. I love this one because if your ward is anything like mine, where they don’t seem to sing Christmas Hymns (HOW SAD IS THAT? For crying out loud, is there any better way to celebrate the birth of Christ than to sing about it?) Then at least this way you won’t miss out on those spectacular (and admittedly my favorite) songs.

Another Advent idea is to unveil a piece of the nativity and read about that particular happening in the scriptures. Do this until the Christmas Eve and the birth (or reviling) of baby Jesus.

NOW FOR MY FAVORITE IDEA! Christmas books! I confess that this idea would be a lot more fun with children (isn’t most). It will defiantly be a part of our Christmas tradition.
For this advent custom you wrap all of your Christmas books . You can use old paper grocery sacks and lasts year's leftover wrapping paper. Place a number on each wrapped book. You can stick it on, draw it on with a marker, or even get all fancy with a tags and ribbon.
Each night you get to unwrap (which, as we all know, makes everything more exciting!) a book and read it as a family.
I have a pretty good start on my book collection. This only gives me more motivation to build on it!

Traditions are fun and advents fill the whole month with family and memories.

Happy Advent-ing!

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

Oh, I like all of your ideas, especially the book one. I agree. I pulled out all my Christmas books and we're at least half way there.

One more idea that we're doing this year--a Lego Advent Calendar. You get to open up a door each day and build something (a person, a snowman, etc.) Burke has sure enjoyed it!