Monday, February 1, 2010

Shocking Events -day two- The snow plow and the dead dog

Sunday morning was a little better for Aussie. The new snow excited her enough to venture somewhat into the yard. That made me feel better about the day before, that is until she snuck past Adam and through the gate. I was shoveling the driveway and all I saw was a flash of fur run past me, and heard Adam yelling for her to heel. She slowed at the end of the grass to bark at the snow plow, but then decided to take the plow on. She ran right into the middle of the street. She must have been shocked by her collar because she stopped to turn back, just in time to be hit by the plow.


I know what you’re thinking, because I thought the same thing as I dropped the shovel and ran towards the street. She’s dead. If not dead badly injured. I had watched the edge of the plow hit her square in her side bending her in half. I doubt the driver even saw her.

Luckily it was a plow. I know that sound silly. Plows are enormous moving objects with sharp menacing spades protruding out the front, but it was the sharp menacing spades that saved her. Instead of being flattened like any other vehicle would have done to her the plow sort of shoveled her out to the side with the rest of the snow. Aussie got up (a little dazed) and ran back to the yard and right to Adam and me. We checked her to make sure she wasn’t hurt. She looked scared and confused but she was fine. I on the other hand had the shakes all through church.

I know it sound callous, but I hope that plow hurt her a little bit. I hope that this near death experience scared her enough that she’ll think twice before running out in the street and/ or try to take on an object 20 times her size.

Our weekend. Full of shocking events and lessons learned…hopefully.

2 comments:

Liz said...

Wow! Is she doing okay? Are you guys okay? I agree, hopefully this will teach her to not go into the street...

KingFlitton said...

Yea she, and we, are okay. I think it scared all of us more than anything. Thank you for asking. I appriciate that.