Thursday, January 21, 2010

Please pass the Dramamine

I love my job…Honestly I do, but I honestly can’t wait to go home sometimes.

There are times when my chosen career path is rather draining. Emotionally speaking it’s like a very tall, very loopy, very sickness inducing high velocity roller coaster that just happens to operate in the dark. The passengers include about a dozen or more of the most startling girls I’ve ever met.

Did I mention this roller coaster has no seat belts? That’s me…The seatbelt.

The end of the ride is terribly exciting. Even before I get on I am already eager for the conclusion. To reach the end of the ride, with everyone in tow is a thrilling and exhilarating accomplishment, even if I am covered in vomit, which I usually am.

However that end does not usually come with everyone safely in their seats. That is when it is hard.

I travel on this ride quite often; sometimes I’m on it a couple times in one day. When it ends well and I am filled with adrenaline. When it doesn’t end well, I feel nauseous... I wonder if they make emotive Dramamine.

I get worried about burnout sometimes. It may sound silly, but I don’t think that I am close to that kind of disinterest with the social work part of my job, I am very close to not caring about the secretarial part however.

I am good at my job. I am good at both aspects of my job, and both are important. After all one can’t really work without the other, at least not proficiently. But in my case as one responsibility moves more to the forefront the other is shifting toward the background. I feel frustration when the milieu bides for my attentions, esspecially when there are more pressing matters (like girls falling out of a rollercoaster).

I’m getting over it...You do what you’ve got to do till you don’t got to do no more. After all “I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep” (Robert Frost Stopping by the Woods on a Snowy Eve)

I’m learning to be a juggler… A juggler, on a roller coaster, in the dark, all while trying to be a good seatbelt.

Please pass the Dramamine

No comments: